GLYNN ACADEMY ALMA MATER
(Words by Miss Jane Macon)
'Mong the Lordly Oaks of Brunswick
Glorious to our view,
Stands our own beloved high school
Basking 'Neath the view.
Glynn Academy, we will honor
May we never fail,
For thy fame shall never perish
Red and White all hail.
Through the years, your loving children
We will always be.
Always to thy halls returning,
Author's Note: This brief history of our beloved high school is a consolidation of several histories compiled over the years.
A major portion is from a wonderful handwritten document dated July 2, 1952 titled, "A Brief History of Glynn Academy", written
by Glynn Academy's legendary English teacher, Miss Jane Macon. Other significant contributions were gleaned from an updated
history by past GAAA President Billy Rogers plus various other data and historical sketches found in the Glynn Academy Alumni
Association archives. Unfortunately, much of Glynn Academy's early history has been lost over time. The history we have been able
to assemble is often sketchy and anecdotal, but nevertheless, precious. So, if you have any historical documents or photos that could
help illuminate Glynn Academy's past, please contact the Glynn Academy Alumni Association - Mason Stewart.
Our Glynn Academy has been documented to be the second oldest high school in the State of Georgia and probably the fifth oldest high school in the nation.
Her story begins in 1777, when the framers of Georgia's first constitution initially planned a wonderful system of public schools for the state.
The English idea of an "income by rental" method would be used to raise revenues by which a state Academies would be supported. "Commons" were to be
set aside in each county and leased for a period of 99 years with all monies derived from the leases and all taxes collected from improvements going to support the Academies.
It was under this constitutional provision, that Glynn Academy was chartered on February 22, 1788 (just three years after the state university) and has been in
continuous operation ever since.
The first school house's location has been lost to history, but in 1819 the commissioners of the town of Brunswick and the trustees of Glynn Academy
erected a "comfortable building for school purposes" on the southeastern corner of Reynolds and L streets. This first known wooden school house, built in
1819 at a cost of $10,000 was eventually abandoned.
In 1838 Mayor A. L. King of Brunswick conveyed Hillsboro square to the Trustees of Glynn Academy and further provided that the proceeds of the city's sale
of "New Town" be used for the construction of the "Old Glynn Academy building" that, as of today, will be known as, Glynn Academy's "Alumni Hall".
Built by Jonathan Bills of Connecticut and completed in 1840, the two story Greek revival wooden frame building with fluted Doric columns featured hand hewn
floor sills and was constructed of spruce and pine, brought -for some (as yet) unexplained reason-to Brunswick on a schooner from Maine.
While erected primarily for school purposes, the old academy structure has also served as a public hall where sessions of Superior Court were held for many years.
Residing approximately where the current Glynn Academy auditorium sits today, the Old Academy building was eventually moved to the Sterling community in
1915, where it was used by the community as a school for African American students. The "old Sterling Building", as it was called by then,
was finally returned to its rightful home on the Glynn Academy campus in 2008.
In addition to being the second oldest wooden school house in America, it is also the only remaining antebellum building in Glynn County and it is finally home
where it belongs.
Glynn Academy Annex
The present Annex building was erected in 1889 and was the next home of our Alma Mater.
Commissioned by Glynn County's school board and designed by Alfred S. Eichberg (Architect of Brunswick's Old City Hall and Temple Beth Tefilloh) the Annex
was built to replace the old 1838 wooden structure.
Billed as three buildings in one, the Annex was celebrated for its innovative "Fire Proof" design consisting of solid brick walls between each of its distinct sections.
It consisted of two outer buildings with four "recitation" rooms each (two upstairs and two downstairs) framing a center section originally configured with two large study rooms.
The two center study rooms were designed to accommodate a combined total of 500 students.
The unusual design was also notable for the cross ventilation it provided long before air conditioning was common.
Upon completion, the Glynn County School system dedicated the new Annex to Ms Susie Rebecca Gale, a much beloved teacher.
Replaced by the main Glynn Academy school building in 1923, the Annex lay virtually dormant until 1938 when (at a cost of $40,000) it was refurbished to ease
Main Glynn Academy Building
Designed by Savannah Architect Henrik Wallin after the Library at Louvain, Belgium, our present Glynn Academy building is considered to be one of the most
beautiful school buildings in Georgia. Constructed by Georgia's West point iron works and dedicated on Armistice Day, November 12, 1923, this impressive building known as "Memorial Hall"
stands as a tribute to the local veterans of World War I. A beautiful marble plaque recording the names of those Brunswick citizens who lost their lives in the Great War was installed at the top
of the staircase in 1924 by the local chapter of the DAR. Memorial Hall was remodeled in 1999, whereupon it received an "Outstanding Achievement" award from the Georgia Trust for Historic
In 1928, the Wood gym was built with funds donated by the pupils of Glynn County as a tribute to Alfred Vincent Wood, who served as the President of the
Board of Education from 1900 to 1926
The Prep Building
The old "Prep High School" (c. 1889) was incorporated as part of Glynn Academy and re-named the Annex in 1936.
A period newspaper, the "Brunswick Daily Advertiser", commented on the "very dignified and imposing appearance" of this Eichberg-designed structure. "Eichberg's genius used
natural lighting to advantage from the two sides for each classroom and an exterior trimmed with stone."
Sidney Lanier Building
The Sidney Lanier Building, a former primary school, was incorporated into Glynn Academy proper
in the 1960's and now serves as a freshman center.